linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Monday, May 14, 2012

On Mother's Day

 Yesterday was a Talache day.  In other words, it was a day spent at one of my favorite spots on this earth.

It's a little strip of rocky shore nestled beneath the plunging slopes of the mountains I love and live in.
Lake Pend Oreille - the fifth deepest lake in the US.  And cold.
Some of my most treasured memories are kept along it's shores...  We made a few more to add to the collection yesterday.


We spent Mother's Day here last year, and the year before, and the year before that.  Perhaps even the year before that... suffice to say, we go way, way back!

The weather was perfectly spectacular.  In past years, we've had weather of all kinds - rain, hail, fog, and balmy sunshine.  But as Mother's Day was a week later this year, we had a day of pure, cloudless gold.
 
My Mother.  Spending this wonderful day at Talache is a perfect picture of her - there's no place she'd rather be.  Unless it would be salmon fishing up in Alaska...!

Words, empty words.  How could I possibly choose the right ones to convey what my mother is?
She's a true inspiration, showing me what pure, selfless womanhood and motherhood is.
Her strength, her selflessness, her dedication and her common sense are laced with a crazy love of adventure and a sense of humor so non-British that we always groan at each other's jokes.

My mother is the most inspiring person ever.  Someday, I think I'll write a book that will show her in her rightful place as the modern day Ma Ingalls.
My dulcimer is the traditional instrument of choice at Talache
And playing it while reclining in the hammock is pure bliss.
Eight families were able to join us, and children were everywhere!  Here they take a spin on a log.
(photo credit my Dad's iphone)

This here's my gorgeous sis Ellen.  
Her hair is naturally curly - I'm eternally jealous. :grin:
I take most of the pictures on the blog, but if I'm in one, chances are she took it.  This girl has major talent.
She's also genius at gardening.  And she makes a mean four strand french braid.  Her sense of humor is nearly identical to my moms - those two are dangerous in the joke line.
My sweet friend Wild Rose and her family were able to come, which was a real treat!
We took a stroll along the shore with our cameras in hand, shooting everything in sight;)
Ellen and Rebekah

The evening closed in, the shadows lengthened.  The bonfire was lit, and hymnbooks pulled out.
My favorite part of the day.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely way to spend mother's day! And the hymns sound lovely <3 <3

    P.S. I am trying to be more active in posting comments on posts I read. I am notoriously bad for not commenting :D I haven't abandoned your blog since I commented a long time ago. I've been reading along, just being woefully lazy and not commenting.

    Your blog is so encouraging! Keep up the wonderful posts! p.s. I love your hair. It is beautiful <3

    I have been trying to take up blogging for several months now, but it has been a bit slow. How long, may I ask, did it take you to get into the hang of blogging? And what is your favorite thing about blogging?

    Adieu,
    Molly
    http://thedahlhouse93.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful area to spend a day in! It looks like you all had such a wonderful time, it makes me want to head up to one of our lakes and spend a whole afternoon simply enjoying the beauty around me.

    Just out of curiosity, is the dulcimer difficult to learn to play? It looks like you were playing while everyone was singing the hymns. I have yet to be able to learn an instrument well enough to play along while someone sings. I'm working with the Mandolin, but am very much a beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you all had an amazing time! I had to smile when you talked about bringing out the hymnals at night--it brings back so many fond memories.(:
    Lovely photos too!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like y'all had a great time! Oohhh I love dulcimer music :) It's so much fun to play, and it sounds so beautiful.
    {In response to Eyebright, no, it's not hard at all! Quite possibly the easiest instrument I've come across}
    Oh, and your sunglasses are amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous day and an amazingly beautiful place!! A perfect event to celebrate Mother's Day! From all the photos, everyone was having a fabulous time too! My Grandpa(my Mom's Dad) made a dulcimer just like yours after he and Grandma came to live with us in their last years. My Dad drove him up to someplace in our Blue Ridge Mountains where they talked to another very old man who made them. Me, my sister Ellen and my Mom all worked on learning how to play it and it is challenging to say the least! Your instrument is beautiful and I wish I still had my Grandpa's one!!!
    Rebekah, so wonderful to virtually "meet" you. I have been enjoying your comments too!

    Love that Green Tote! **grin**Thanks for sharing your lovely day with all of us here in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to thank you again for inviting us to your picnic. :-D What a beautiful place (though it occurs to me that any spot along Lake Pend Oreille would be beautiful). I really enjoyed (once we finally got there!) the scenery, the fellowship, Mrs. Rachel's delicious pickles...and most of all, seeing you again, lassie. :-) Our walk along the beach was the highlight of our time there--"shooting everything in sight" and allowing myself to be a little childish by leaving "temporary graffiti" all over the rocks. :-P

    Again, thank you so much for inviting us--I'm glad we went...and here's hoping we'll be able to come earlier next year. :-)

    God bless,
    ~"Wild Rose"~
    P.S. Hi, Winnie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, mockingbird–––These photos are amazing. I want to go here!!!! Every shot is like worthy of a magazine. And those mountains look so brilliant. You're so blessed to have such a lovely family :)

    Jeanine :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a beautiful day! Beautiful, beautiful scenery!

    -Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish three things
    I had been with you at this beautiful place
    knew you and heard you play
    and could follow you.

    come see my giveaway! http://savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2012/05/dancing-any-one-dance-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous pictures! looks like you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone!

    Molly - You're so sweet! Don't worry about being a lurker sometimes... I know I am, too:)

    Hm... I suppose I am 'in the hang' of blogging now, but I really couldn't say when it happened. I've been blogging on a private blog since 2008, and this blog has been around since last August. I think hosting some fun blog events can be really helpful to get launched into the blogging world and find your niche, so to speak... and my favorite part? Getting to know and interact with the sweetest blog readers ever! =D

    Eyebright - like A Daughter of the King said, the dulcimer has been called one of the easiest instruments to learn! I love playing it, and although I don't consider myself 'good', I'm usually able to back up the singing;) Best wishes for your learning the mandolin! I love those!

    Winnie - How neat! The Blue Ridge Mountains would be the place to go to learn how to build a dulcimer. what a wonderful experience. And your sister's name is Ellen? That is so fun! :D

    Rebekah - We were so glad you all made it! Yep, next time things should go much more smoothly... :smile: Those pickles were out of this world. ;)

    Your comments mean so much to me, everybody! Thanks, and may your day be amazing.

    --Me

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...